 Trains / 19106
Subject:
Building a three-foot bridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.znap
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:21:21 GMT

I want to build a bridge to cross a one-meter gap between two train
platforms.  The bridge must hold two straight lengths of track, spaced
with one trackwidth between them (the distance there would be if you
snapped two cross-intersection track pieces together).

The platforms themselves are a meter off the ground, so putting a
support in the middle of the span isn't feasible.

Two years ago I grabbed one of every Znap set from a TRU clearance.
I've been using that to try to build a beam bridge.  I've gotten the
beam reasonably rigid, but my problem right now is that it twists very
easily, and I can't figure out how to support against that.

Any tips on how to build a sturdy one-meter-long bridge out of Znap
and/or Technic while being somewhat miserly with the pieces, so I don't
run out?  And any tips on how to reinforce against twisting would be
greatly appreciated, thanks!

Re: Building a three-foot bridge
I want to build a bridge to cross a one-meter gap between two train
platforms.  The bridge must hold two straight lengths of track, spaced
with one trackwidth between them (the distance there would be if you
snapped two cross-intersection track pieces together).

Brian:

I've built some ZNAP and Technic bridges of similar lengths but haven't run
into the twisting problem. Any chance you can post a picture of what you
have? That would help a lot.

Cary

Re: Building a three-foot bridge
Here is one photo of my lift bridge that has a 32" span (approximately):

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/msltc/20020921/Bridges/bridges-013.jpg

It holds up very well, and i assume that you could make it even longer if
you needed to.

-Rob
www.cei.net/~rhendrix/lego.html
www.msltc.org

"Brian Kendig" <brian@enchanter.net> wrote in message
[...]

Well there's Wayne Hussey's bridge which was built out of znap
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=6992 it's a bit longer than you need, but I
imagine it would've been impossible to use if it had a twisting problem.
Maybe you could adapt his deck construction technique?

Also I built this small bridge
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=13433 which is very stable,
and could be extended and widened quite easily.

ROSCO

[...]

Well, Brian, I can say one of my 60 inch long ZNAP bridge twisted and
collapse at a train show, with the GFLTC (no pics). Two trains fell 30+
inches to the ground out side in the dirt! The best bet for a ZNAP bridge is
to support the track on both side with walls or three support walls with two
tracks. The bridge that collapse only had side walls, no wall in the center.

Here are some examples:

Two ZNAP bridges at GATS Orlando (30in long):

Twin track ZNAP bridge at GATS Tampa (30in long):

Twin track ZNAP bridge at FLBG Largo (41in long) upper left:

Working draw bridge NMRA NTS Ft. Lauderdale (30in long):

Hope this helps,
Robin W
GFLTC - www.gfltc.org

Re: Building a three-foot bridge
I want to build a bridge to cross a one-meter gap between two train
platforms.  The bridge must hold two straight lengths of track, spaced
with one trackwidth between them (the distance there would be if you
snapped two cross-intersection track pieces together).

Brian:

I've built some ZNAP and Technic bridges of similar lengths but haven't • run
into the twisting problem. Any chance you can post a picture of what you
have? That would help a lot.

Cary

Here are a couple of pictures of the ZNAP bridges Cary built along with one
I built.

Cary built the two bridges that cary the trains across the opening in the
NCLTC layout, I built the monorail bridge.  When we set up for our first
GATS show one of Cary's bridges worked great and one didn't, it sagged a
bit.  My monorail bridge was also structurally not sound.  After we went
home that Friday night Cary made a second copy of the bridge design that
worked and I re-worked my bridge design completely.  We have used all three
bridges at numerous shows since then without any problems.

While I have a tub of ZNAP, I didn't have enough of the parts that I would
have really liked to use so I had to be creative.  For the bottom platform I
alternated triangle pieces such that two of them placed next to each other
formed a crude rectangle.  I then joined these rectangles together with the
sides.  At this point the bottom rectangles were not joined together with
each other so I used a seried of long ZNAP beams connected end to end on the
underside to create one long rib down the middle of the base.  This turned
out well and it is very sturdy, the rib provides more than enough support.
You can't really see it in the picture but the rib follows the centerline of
the monorail track.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com

Re: Building a three-foot bridge