 Trains / 6992
6991  |  6993
Subject:
World Record LEGO Bridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:21:40 GMT

Just to clarify a few details about the World Record LEGO Bridge.

It is, as far as I know, a World Record length of bridge span - officially
measured (with guidance from a bridge engineer) at 16 feet 10 inches.

The bridge has been called a suspension bridge and for those who know the
difference, it is a cable stay bridge - which I believe is a subset of
suspension bridges. In that way it is still a suspension bridge.

It's overall dimensions are 22-1/2 feet long, 18 inches wide and about 4-1/2
feet tall. It carries two rail lines (separated by four studs between 9V track
pieces), using 108 pieces of straigt 9V track.

It is built using 80% LEGO Znap, 12% brick and other common LEGO elements (no
standard Technic was used - the Znap was interfaced with 2x2 bricks w/Technic
clips), 4% LEGO train track, 4% other (pennies and nylon string).

There are about seven pounds of pennies inside each of the footings for
ballast. The footings each weigh about 20 pounds. The rest of the footings are
solid brick. When I first completed the footings, they only weighed about 11
pounds. When I tested the bridge, the feet lifted when the bridge deck was
pressed down (still happens, but it takes quite a bit more than a typical
train's weight). I hollowed them out, added the pennies and rebuilt the
interface for more surface area of the brick-brick link. This raised the
weight to 20 pounds.

It was dis-assembled into five sections for transport. The cables are tied to
the Znap purple clip rings, allowing the cables to be easily disconnected for
transport and reconnected during setup.

I hope this information will answer most questions - if there are any others,
please ask.

Here is a picture David Schilling took of me and my largest (to date) LEGO
creation.

(The train in the foreground is also mine)

Wayne