 Trains / 19113
Re: Building a three-foot bridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.znap
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:34:34 GMT

"Cary Clark" <cary@corp.nospamwebtv.net> wrote in message
news:H96p3M.I6q@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.trains, Brian Kendig writes:
I want to build a bridge to cross a one-meter gap between two train
platforms.  The bridge must hold two straight lengths of track, spaced
with one trackwidth between them (the distance there would be if you
snapped two cross-intersection track pieces together).

Brian:

I've built some ZNAP and Technic bridges of similar lengths but haven't • run
into the twisting problem. Any chance you can post a picture of what you
have? That would help a lot.

Cary

Here are a couple of pictures of the ZNAP bridges Cary built along with one
I built.

Cary built the two bridges that cary the trains across the opening in the
NCLTC layout, I built the monorail bridge.  When we set up for our first
GATS show one of Cary's bridges worked great and one didn't, it sagged a
bit.  My monorail bridge was also structurally not sound.  After we went
home that Friday night Cary made a second copy of the bridge design that
worked and I re-worked my bridge design completely.  We have used all three
bridges at numerous shows since then without any problems.

While I have a tub of ZNAP, I didn't have enough of the parts that I would
have really liked to use so I had to be creative.  For the bottom platform I
alternated triangle pieces such that two of them placed next to each other
formed a crude rectangle.  I then joined these rectangles together with the
sides.  At this point the bottom rectangles were not joined together with
each other so I used a seried of long ZNAP beams connected end to end on the
underside to create one long rib down the middle of the base.  This turned
out well and it is very sturdy, the rib provides more than enough support.
You can't really see it in the picture but the rib follows the centerline of
the monorail track.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com