 Trains / 13535
Re: Oval Window for ICE Train Door
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:36:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

<snip description of other oval windows>

Holy SNOT! That's amazing. So is Carl's for that matter... but yours is
pure, eh? I LOVE that inversion technique with the technic 1x4 roundend,
it's crisp.

Thanks for the reply, Larry.
I really like the 1x4 Technic roundend with pass-through holes.

A note about the construction:
One could use a 1x2 brick-hinge instead of the 1x2 Technic brick with two
side holes and achieve the same result.  Not sure which is preferable;
suppose depends on quantities available....

I have used the brick hinge in the past for 90 degree rotation and find it
less than satisfactory as it has a tendency to rotate back up and come
disconnected. I think your approach using pins is better. Although the pins
themselves do not grip all that tightly, at least they do not rotate and
disconnect.

In this oval window construction, the inner wall of the white 1x4 arches
hold the two vertical-oriented black 2x2 tiles very snugly.  So snugly that
any looseness due to the Technic pins is mostly taken out--I dare say
completely eliminated.  In a similar way, the inner arch walls would prevent
rotation if one were to use the brick hinge.
I continue to be absolutely amazed at how well LEGO(R) elements fit together
in all sorts or orientations.  They are ingeniously engineered around a very
fundamental unit of brick!  In this case I have learned how unique is the
thickness of the 1x4 arch wall and the air-gap between the walls.

Steve Barile contacting me about the oval window with the following suggestion:
Steve suggested using the 2x2 round-top brick with two 1/2-studd offset
knobs on the top.  He reckoned that this round-top brick would be a good
match to the 1x4 arch brick.  It sure is!

He is a construction solution to make the oval window using the same 1x4
arches and two black 2x2 round-top bricks:

Note that this solution allows for a lower profile oval:  Reduced oval
height by 2 plates.
I am eager to see a solution that attaches the top-most white 1x4 arch element
more securely!

later,
James Mathis