 Trains / 13153
Re: 12v Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:48:36 GMT

Greg Kramer wrote:

This is a topic near to my heart -- I too decided to run 12v on my layout at
home.  There are some challenges, but it is a lot of fun.  On to your questions:

In lugnet.trains, Mark Williams writes:
Since I decided to go the hard route and not go with 9v trains, how am I
going to power them? (My primary reason for choosing 12v over 9v is the
availability of remote points and accessories.) I believe Lego made a 12v
transformer for 110 electricity but finding one will be a problem.

I've never seen a 110 transformer for 12v.  But the 220 transformers can be
found fairly easily (on ebay, brickbay, wherever) and you can get a 110-220
step-up converter for use here in the US.  These types of converters can be
found at radio shack and other electronics stores.  Just make sure you get
the kind that steps-up to 220, for using European electronics here -- lots
of stores sell the step-down variety (220 to 110) for using US electronics
in Europe, but that's not the kind you need.

Radio Shack has a nice stepup transformer which is basically a wall
wart. The only unfortunate thing about it is that it only has one euro
plug, but I think it does have enough capacity to run two controllers.
It was a bit pricy ($32 or so). With some hunting, you could find one
cheaper I'm sure.

Is it possible to use the 9v controller but substitute a 12v transformer? Or
can I use a regular train transformer and forego the Lego controller? How do
I power the electric points?

I have made a converter wire to convert between 9v and 12v connectors.
The points seem to work fine when powered by 9v.

Note that there is a special track section required that connects to the
transformer.  Some (all?) 12v sets came with these sections... but if you
just get a large lot of track somewhere, you may not be able to hook it up
to your transformer.
The newer 12v conducting rails all have pin holes so that all you need
to connect is a connecting wire which has separated plugs at one end.

Also, the straights will fit into 9v track, but the curves will not.  So you
really have to go with the old 12v outside rails for your whole layout...
Your best bet may be to hunt on Ebay for a while and buy a large lot from
someone in Europe... there are people selling bulk lots of 12v track a
couple times a month there, it seems.

If you make a little use of Babelfish or some other translator, and are
willing to mail cash, there is quite a bit of 12v items to be found on
German eBay.

Part of the challenge on fun of 12v is finding what you need.  You have to
enjoy the hunt -- it's not as easy as calling shop at home and getting 9v
items (although a couple of the Lego outlet stores -- in Georgia and
Virginia -- have both turned up limited supplies of right-handed 12v points.
not sure if they have any left, but I know there are some resellers of them
on brickbay).

Remember the outlet stores will ship.

Also read the 12 volt train track: Blue versus Gray for more info on
12v.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com