 Trains / 13157
Re: 12v Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:53:07 GMT

Greg Kramer wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:

I have made a converter wire to convert between 9v and 12v connectors.
The points seem to work fine when powered by 9v.

Can I ask why you do this?  If you have a 12v transformer working, I can't
think of a reason why you'd want to run a 9v line to the points...  what am
I missing?

A couple reasons:

- I tried it before I acquired the step up transformer
- the 741 transformer I have doesn't have a constant voltage source for
accessories (and now that I see Ben's note in the other thread realize
even if I had a 740 transformer, I wouldn't want to use it since the
blue system uses 16v for the turnout motors). I do have a 7864 on it's
way to me eventually.
- it's nice to know that the motor does work at 9v, it provides a useful
feature, a technic axle which rotates 90 degrees on a pulse of power.
Automatic crossing gates like in 7866 are not the only possible use (and
since they work at 9v, one should be able to make a 7866 be powered by
an RCX with some sensors to detect trains and lower the gates
automatically... (as I cause the going price for a 7866 to jump....)

Hmm, acording to the set database, 742 is a 12v transformer for 100v
mains, so in theory there might be a transformer which wouldn't require
a step up transformer.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com