 Town / 9974
new moc: water tower house
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town, lugnet.build.arch
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:13:03 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

i vowed to myself to post this before the new year. i have berated fellow lug members for not posting their new mocs but then i distinctly heard mr. pot calling to mr. kettle, something about the colour black.

back in april i completed a new moc, displayed at a few shows and then didn’t get around to lugging it outside to photograph it in the summer sun. as a result, i photographed it on a bright, sunny day inside. not a good idea, it turns out.

the house is very loosely based on a house whose renovation was featured on one of those “weird homes/ultimate homes” shows, of which i only saw about 5-10 minutes. the core of the project was a victorian water tower renovation, around which was built a large, round, very modern structure in lymm, england. i searched the net, found their website which was less than stellar in terms of photos of the building, so i used some artistic licence and came up with this:

   or rather the beginning of that. then i decided to search more intensely, found some websites of companies that had worked on the project who had much better pictures of the house and found out that the modern structure was not completely round at all. but i kept my structure as is, which is not exactly round, more nautilus-like in shape. the original house has a completely white interior with modern coloured furniture, so i maintained this design element. it also used different levels to define living areas, which i used to separate the kitchen from the dining area. nowhere could i find what was inside the tower itself, though it did appear to lead to the roof where i think there was a hot tub. my tower does have a spiral staircase leading to the rooftop but there is no hot tub. with all that interior space, i decided to put in an extra bathroom with a large planter over the ceiling. i never did finish furnishing either bathroom before tearing the house apart.

with such a large white expanse for the main building, i needed to vary the surface, using grilled bricks and different window effects. i am happy with effect of the alternating plane and small train windows for the master bathroom. i also wanted to cut into the roundness and created the patio off the master bedroom.

   the interior space is very large, some would say out of scale, but the vastness appealed to me and i could well imagine the view from the arched windows of the tower looking down into the living space, past the wide gas fireplace and through the floor to ceiling windows to the water feature beyond. the little blue/brown cabinet in the living area uses an interesting snot technique, which i’ll photograph and post on brickshelf, sometime in the new year!

enjoy.

-§ deborah higdon-leblond §-