 Technic / 8822
Re: 8475 Motor Tests
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:00:02 GMT

That figure was the normal operation (no load) figure. What concerned me was
that it was a factor of almost 20 higher than the gear motors which normally
run about 10mA. Of course, it is very easy to overlook the fact that the
gear motor is extraordinarilly low friction, and thus draws very little
power off load in overcoming its own mechanical losses. The buggy motor is
of the cruder "toy" motor design which are notoriously inefficient anyhow
and since I have never opened the casework, I don't know how "nice" the gear
train is. So it is hard to know what the real buggy motor off load current
would be if it were not possibly overcoming all sorts of gear train friction.

I will apply some juice to one stalled, and assuming I don't break
something, let you know what the current consumption is asap.

JB

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
I don't have a current meter (yet), but yes that would be good. Well, you
provided some current data a while back:
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=7701
Was that 200mA at stall torque, or just during normal operation? Can you
test the motor at stall sometime soon? That can then be my current data
point for maximum torque. We have plenty of measurements for the geared 9v
motor for comparison.