 Technic / 8821
Re: 8475 Motor Tests
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:30:09 GMT

In lugnet.technic, John Barnes writes:
This is interesting information, thanks TJ. I must say that I got the visual
impression that the buggy motors seemed to have more than a mere 2 - 3 times
more shaft power output than the gear motors.

Yes, I did too. Judging from the performance of the RC car, you'd think the
motors would be equivalent to perhaps 8, or more, of the geared 9V motors.
The buggy can really zip along!

There was one other thing about my test. When the 9252 motor stalled, the
green LED on the train controller dimmed significantly. I wonder if it was
able to provide adequate current. Surely so! If not, then my torque results
could be low.

The little piece of data which would add greatly to your 2 - 3
times figure would be the current consumption. I have a nasty
feeling that the Technic gear motor has set the gold standard
for electric to mechanical power conversion efficiency.

I don't have a current meter (yet), but yes that would be good. Well, you
provided some current data a while back:
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=7701
Was that 200mA at stall torque, or just during normal operation? Can you
test the motor at stall sometime soon? That can then be my current data
point for maximum torque. We have plenty of measurements for the geared 9v
motor for comparison.

If the buggy motors make 3 times the torque converted to the
same rpm, but at the expense of 10 times the power consumption
(which I have a feeling is the case) then for battery operated
applications like 99% of Technic/Mindstorms creations, they are
not quite such a hot prospect.

Well, I hope my test is a little flawed, and the 9252 motors turn out better
performers. I plan on using mine!

TJ