 Technic / 7889
Re: Technic's Dead (was: I need Technic)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 22:07:18 GMT

"Jim Hughes" <hughesj@one.net> wrote in message

I suspect that Brad Justus/Lego defines Technic differently than you or
I do. I think that my definition is clear. It comes from • playing/collecting/
building with these sets and elements for about 15 years. Lego defines
the Theme as Star Wars/Racers/Bionicle and I dont think that is going • away.
So it is nice to hear Lego Direct say this but I doubt he was able to
provide any examples to back up this statement so lets see what is • actually
available for purchase.

Having said that I understand why the Theme has shifted in this direction.
Lego has to respond to their market, which, in this case, is mostly boys
who grew up with Nintendo/PS2 (not to mention a Futura development team • that
did the same). The action figure orientation of the theme is probably much • more
appealing to them then, say, farm equiptment wouldbe.

It's the video game market that bugs me too!  This is an era unlike the
'80's of Atari 2600/ Intelevision and other gaming systems of that time.
Mac and PC systems were just getting started.  Now, games you only found in
some arcade at a mall are in your own home (not mine thank you!).

I'd love to see sets like the Harvester again but to get todays younger
generation it's sets like the rescue helicopter or mission set.  (This might
seem like capitalizing 911)  LEGO did come out with a rather simplistic fire
engine (8280?).  Something more updated with features found in the 8460
(i.e. BIGGER) might catch the eyes of the younger crowd.

I just saw a Spybotics set today for the first time and I like some of
the elements but the sets are closer to a Bionicle Manas then they are
to a Code Pilot Truck. It used to be that I would automatically buy a
new Technic set the first time I saw it but now I tend to pass up most
new sets, their retail offerings are just not compelling.

--Jim

Sypbotics is LEGO's answer to the "Junkbots" show.  When I see it, there are
kids either participating in the show or are part of the audience.

Adrian Egli