 Technic / 7487
Re: Powering motors from the mains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 19:38:53 GMT

   The current is going through two silicon diodes though, with attendant
.5 volt drop through each so consider if that will be a problem in this
application.  Likely its not.

In lugnet.technic, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.technic, Trevyn Watson writes:
I think you misuderstood what Larry said (or I misunderstood what you
said). I think Larry was saying that you should use the wall wart from
the train speed regulator, which is what Lego recommends.

Yes. That is what I meant. I even believe sincerely that it's what I said. :-)

I am not sure who exactly within LEGO first recommended it but if you dig
hard enough in lugnet.robotics I believe you will find just such a
recommendation.... that you should use the wall wart from the speed reg (not
the speed reg itself) to power your RCX if you so desired.

If you put DC through a bridge you get 100% duty on one side and 0% duty on
the other, possibly resulting in asymmetric heating, contrast with AC which
gives 50-50 duty. Maybe that's what ROSCO was referring to.
)

++Lar

   Tom Napolitano  tomnap@bersama.net