 Technic / 7478
    Powering motors from the mains —Steven Lane
   I find batteries a pain, especially as there output isn't constant over their lifetime, therefore I'd love to be able to power my motors from the mains. I'd like to know what methods their are are doing this. I'd prefer a purist option but I do know (...) (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Powering motors from the mains —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Purist approach is to use a 9V train speed reg and LEGO(r) wires from the speed reg to your motor(s), possibly through the polarity reverser switch to give control. The speed reg is powered from a wall wart trafo so if you buy a UK train set (...) (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Powering motors from the mains —Mark Morgan
      (...) 4548s were 5ukp in Toysrus a while back Someone in the UK has a UK 3 pin adaptor for $5 (URL) sure you can find a UK person to trade a controller. Mark (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

          Re: Powering motors from the mains —Larry Pieniazek
      In lugnet.technic, Mark Morgan writes:> (...) wanted to power, it is exactly what you need and no extra. Those 4548s turn up in the strangest places, though, so haunting old and poorly managed stores (TRU comes to mind, as Mark said!) that carried (...) (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Powering motors from the mains —Steven Lane
      (...) Thanks Larry and JB (via e-mail) I'll be following your advice. I'd always assumed the track power connection was hard-wired but this pic shows where a standard connecter attaches. (URL) the speed regulator facility might come in handy too. (...) (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Powering motors from the mains —Ross Crawford
     (...) You can do this but it's not recommended. As the RCX 1.0 has a bridge rectifier on the power input, it's recommended you use a 10v AC supply, to avoid buring out the diodes. ROSCO (22 years ago, 18-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Powering motors from the mains —Trevyn Watson
     I think you misuderstood what Larry said (or I misunderstood what you said). I think Larry was saying that you should use the wall wart from the train speed regulator, which is what Lego recommends. Also, I dont see how you could burn out the diodes (...) (22 years ago, 18-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Powering motors from the mains —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Yes. That is what I meant. I even believe sincerely that it's what I said. :-) I am not sure who exactly within LEGO first recommended it but if you dig hard enough in lugnet.robotics I believe you will find just such a recommendation.... that (...) (22 years ago, 18-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Powering motors from the mains —Frank Filz
      (...) I'd be a little surprised at a bridge rectifier which couldn't accept DC. Many electronic appliances have them these days so that it doesn't really matter what kind of wall wart you use, so long as the voltage is in the right range. The wall (...) (22 years ago, 18-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

          Re: Powering motors from the mains —Ross Crawford
      (...) The main problem comes from the heat generated. This isn't a problem, unless you're driving motors fairly constantly with your RCX, but can eventually cause the diodes to break down. Of course, when one half of the rectifier goes, you can (...) (22 years ago, 19-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Powering motors from the mains —Tom Napolitano
       The current is going through two silicon diodes though, with attendant .5 volt drop through each so consider if that will be a problem in this application. Likely its not. (...) Tom Napolitano tomnap@bersama.net (22 years ago, 18-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Powering motors from the mains —Ross Crawford
     (...) Ooops! Silly me! Yes, the Australian (240v) train reg adapter is also 10v AC, so fine to use with RCX. ROSCO (22 years ago, 19-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Powering motors from the mains —Pehter Abrahamsson
   I've got (URL) with a AC/DC-plug. Works fine for me to power 9V motors. /Pehter (...) (22 years ago, 20-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Powering motors from the mains —Jeff McClain
   (...) One other thought here (and I'm not sure how "good" it is for the motors and I know that efficiency is not the best) is that you will note if you connect two motors together with the typical electrical connection wire (with no RCX in the (...) (22 years ago, 20-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Powering motors from the mains —Pehter Abrahamsson
   The problem I see is that you don't have anything that is regulating the outtake from the motor so you may burn of the thin threads inside. (...) (22 years ago, 21-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)