 Technic / 6270

Subject:
Thank God my clock works!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 11:57:02 GMT

About a year and a half ago I became obsessed with the desire to build a
functional mechanical clock out of legos. Somehow I was able to get my
friend Scott cought up in the madness. After 2 previous versions and many
frustrations and a few months off inbetween we finally have something to
show for the countless hours of play:Approximitly 28 hours of runtime with a
2 second period pendulem.Unfortunatly lego does not sell individual parts so
large projects get expensive,Because of this I've been forced for the time
being to settle on a wall clock opposed to a Grandfather Clock.For ease of
monting and future access my clock is built ito two main parts.
  The clock itself is the first part and it is regulated by a pallet and a
84 toothed escapement(2 42 tooth lego gears from the 1970's gear set 001,the
pallets are built with 2 1x2 tripple slopes)which is synchronized threw a
quickrelease to a second hand.The second hand then drives the rest of the
clock.The quick release enables the clock to be set.The clock also has a
cogwheel that allows the wench to be wound.
  The second part mounts to the wall via drywall skrews into a stud.This
part contains a 5 pully block and tackle and winch conected to the drive
weight(non lego string and weight)the winder for the clock(I seperated the 2
parts of a 56 toothed technic turntable for this purpose)and a contraption
that lays the string back and forth on the winch during winding, the
pendulem also stays on the wall.
   As soon as I figure out how to build a lugnet page I'll go into greator
detail and post quality pictures and a movie.For now you can go to
If anyone is interested I plan on makeing a .dat file
Thanks to
Leo Dorst http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/
Amnon Silverstein
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/LegoClocks/OtherClocks.html
and Robert Munafo http://home.earthlink.net/~mrob/pub/lego/gears.html
Whithout these sites my clock surely would not have been completed.

Re: Thank God my clock works!