 Technic / 5114
Re: converting 8880 4 wheel drive to regular hubs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:36:29 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
I haven't pulled my 8880 apart yet, but was thinking of building a 4x4 using
the 8880 running gear together with the large power puller wheels.
Then I realised that the wheel hubs on the 8880 have a 'special' connection
to the axles.
Is there an easy way to add regular hubs?
Or can it only be done at the expense of 4 wheel drive, in which case there
is no point using the 8880 as a basis.

Basically you can add regular hubs at the expense of steering which is fine
for one axle but at least one axle needs to steer doesn't it!

You probably don't remember but I was playing about with a related problem
when I considered buying some of your power puller wheels at SCLF.  The
special hubs of the 8880 provide both steering and driving and to date this
is the only Lego answer to this problem (correct me if I'm wrong here anyone).

I have been working for months (in between other things) on a Land Rover MOC
which will be 4WD, my problem was that in designing a non-8880 steered and
driven axle I ended up with the wheels describing a swept path when steered
rather than turning on their contact point. A wheel with a sufficiently
dished back would solve this (this is of course how it's solved in the real
world) and that's why I tried out your Power Puller wheels on my 'under
construction' chassis, but, unfortunately, even they are not sufficiently
deep to solve it (the 'dish' needs to be at least half the length of a u/j
plus a half beam i.e 3.5)

Some of the posts which started here http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=4245
might give you a bit more background.

Does this make any sense?

Basically I have now decided that my Land Rover will have to use the 8880
wheel system, not the ideal tyres for it but oh well.

Psi