 Technic / 5120
Re: converting 8880 4 wheel drive to regular hubs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:47:44 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
"Lawrence Wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesfamily.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

Actually, my plan is for a 6x6, and I wanted front and rear
steering as there is too much friction from the wide rubber on
those big wheels for turning.

I don't think I understand how using six wheels is going to help you
here.  The problem with the friction and steering will be present also
when using six wheels.  Perhaps you will find the problem even more
severe, as there are four wheels turning, and not two?

Sorry, my sentence was a bit confusing. I didn't plan to have 6 wheels to
help steering, but wanted front and rear steeering because of the six
wheels.

I found with a previous model using 6 wide wheels - with the back 4 driven -
but only steering on the front, the vehicle would ignore the front wheel
steering and just plough on in a straight line.

As for the suspension, you can simply let one of the two axles be
tiltable.  That way, all four wheels will always touch the ground, and
you will have a serious off road vehicle!

I have experimented with these types of chassis - but the problem is one of
keeping the body level. independent suspension a la 8880 looks a better
platform.

regards
lawrence