 Technic / 4245
4244  |  4246
Subject:
Steering of driven wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:34:04 GMT

Dear all, I hope someone can help me.  I am attempting a MOC of a Series II
Land-Rover with as much functionality as I can achieve and last night I
realised that the only set with steerable driven wheels is the 8880. I have
one and I could use the wheels from that but that would up the scale of the
model too far.  Has anyone else tried to do this? Could they let me know how
they achieved it? (I may be wrong that there's no COTS model with full 4
wheel drive).

I have an idea but it is reliant on a universal joint just behind the wheel
which means the pivot point is 3 away from the wheel and this makes it
difficult to build the steering in (and makes the model too wide).

At the moment I am just discovering all the wonders of LUGNET and therefore
have still not got LDraw to work or I would try to render this.

On a related point this MOC will also require non-independent, leaf spring
suspension and I have resorted to using a shock absorber 6.5L at a very
shallow angle to match the profile of where the leaf spring would go.  It
occurred to me that it could be possible to make a leaf spring from some
metal and then drill holes in it to enable it to be sandwiched between two
bricks.  Is this sort of 'custom part manufacture' frowned upon and if not
has anyone attempted anything similar?

Psi