 Technic / 4605
Re: How about ideas for new elements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:58:18 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Lane writes:
And wouldn't you just kick yourself the next time you needed that gear only
to find you'd modified it and it no longer suited the purpose you had for it.

Oh yes, kicking, screaming, and banging my head. I'm still mad at myself for
painting some pieces about 15 years ago (I was a stupid kid).

Okay, back to the original subject: Here's an idea for NEW pieces (listen
up, Lego): How about new gears (16, 24, and 40t) that have removable axle
hole inserts? Each gear could have several inserts: smooth hole, axle hole,
smooth hole with teeth (like the 16t "conical" gear), etc. The inserts could
be made uniform so that they could be used with any of the gears (16, 24,
and 40t) made for the inserts.

As for details of the insert, I'm not sure. I'm imagining something square
that has a small catch that locks the insert in place so that it doesn't
slide in parallel with the axle.

The same idea could apply to the new white 24t clutch gear. You could make a
removable clutch insert for 24t and 40t gears (maybe 16t if the clutch was
made small enough). Of course I haven't used the clutch gear yet so I don't
know how feasible this idea is.

One major benefit of having a smooth hole gear is in the use of idler gears
on reduction sets. All too often, the friction on the axles of the idler
gears makes for a significant loss in power in the reduction. If the idler
gears could turn independant of their axles, the friction would be greatly
reduced.

T. J.