 Robotics / 14894
Re: How about ideas for new elements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:34:59 GMT

I would like to try using threaded nylon rods. Where can you buy them?

I've only used steel threaded rods to restrain large axial forces (e.g. in a
crane turntable). I've also used smooth 3/16" bar stock when I needed a very
stiff and strong axle (I tend to build models too big).

But you're certainly right about wearing out the Technic holes. Plastic and
metal don't really mix when the plastic part is the bearing surface. It just
erodes away.

I like the idea of a new subgroup. Anyone else for lugnet.technic.grinders?

T. J.

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes writes:
I applaud 100%! Great work! I like to think that if the Lego designers
can have new bits for new models, so can we!!!!

I appear to have duplicated just about everthing you've been doing :)

As far as the threaded rod business goes;

I've been buying 10-24 threaded nylon rod and using that as leadscrew.

It works great. I have been turning the threads down at one or both ends
to make an interference fit inside the standard technic axle coupler. It
works nicely having a slipping action not unlike the white gear if the
nut riding up the thread gets to the limit of travel.

Nylon threading is benign because it doesn't wear out the technic holes.

I have made a few special "nuts" by installing small lengths of 10-24
tapped 1/4" diam brass tube inside slightly drilled out technic parts.

You can build all sorts of interesting mechanical systems with these
parts - mechanical subsititutes for pneumatic cylinders with at least
as much force capacity as their compressed air counterparts, linear motion
devices for making plotting mechanisms, etc etc

I wonder if we need a new lugnet subgroup so purists can avoid having
to read these terrible goings ons and thus don't get too shell-shocked
- how about lugnet.technic.grinders :)

JB