 Robotics / 14908
Re: How about ideas for new elements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:03:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes writes:

Anyway, these are only my personal experiences in modifying my bricks. If
you're a Lego purist who is cringing in your seat, well, sorry. My
philosophy is that if you can make a part from an existing one, then it's
still all Lego. After all, when Lego needs a special piece for a model they
just make a new one.

T. J.

I think a sub group for 'modifiers' is a good idea. I haven't cut up any
pieces myself, broken loads, but never sawn any up. What I will admit to is
strenghtening parts, particulary universal joints. I bind the ends with
sellotape as the axle's tend to break the universal's. This is a great way
of repairing broken universals when the axle has split the end open. I've
used this method on other similair parts as well. This isn't like making a
new part just correcting difficancies in the original part. These
difficancies are probably only their due to materials avaiable to lego and
having to make a part small enough to clear other parts, bulky parts help no
one.

I think combining certain foreign materials should always be allowed.
Elastic bands, string or any type of cable. Buoyancy aids such as pop
bottles have also been employed in the past. And lego make there own
versions anyway. I do think glue is kinda defeating the object of lego though.

I think if people want to add metal parts it's up to them, but I think they
should state clearly when such additions have been made. Perhaps a few new
acronyms could be created to describe how faithful the builder has been to
original lego parts.

It comes down to personal choice in the end. I haven't had to resort to
these measures myself but I can see how somtimes it would be the only way to
get something to work. You carry on doing your thing and I'll do mine. But
like I said, modifications should be admitted to in case somone trys to copy
what you've done and can't because they've limited themselves to original parts.

One more thing. I'd like to see a universal which takes up far less room.
one with a 2L axle rather than a socket. in fact axles of various length
with a univesal at the end would be great.

Steve