 Robotics / 14907
Re: How about ideas for new elements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:45:30 GMT

Thomas Avery wrote:

I like the idea of a new subgroup. Anyone else for lugnet.technic.grinders?

Nah, keep the posts in the main group as a constant source of temptation for
the purists :-)

I take your point about these mods really coming into play when you have a
large collection of parts - when I was young and had a very limited amount of
Lego I wouldn't have dared cut up pieces in case it made it impossible to
rebuild one of the sets (even though I would have killed for a 3-long axle!)
but with parts you have plenty of it is no big deal. Saying that, I did bore a
hole through the middle of a standard 4x4 turntable to turn it into the Technic
version many years ago.

Some parts you really have to resort to cutting if you want to use them in your
own models, such as the Technic corrugated tubing and flex tubes.

Personally I think it opens up a whole new area of creativity and
possibilities. I know that with enough thought workarounds can sometimes be
found that use unmodified pieces, but Lego don't restrict themselves to the
current selection of pieces so I see no reason why we should either :-)

BTW, my current personal favourite modification is the 1.5 long axle, created
by snapping one of the notched ends off a 2 long axle. This piece has a
remarkable number of uses!

Jennifer Clark