 Technic / 4603
Re: How about ideas for new elements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:50:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:

Here's an idea: If you absolutely have to modify a valuable part (like a 40t
gear) to make the model of a lifetime, then buy one and modify it. I know
you can buy 40t gears individually on the internet. Although expensive,
you'll only need a few and it will make your model work.

It's a good point and a good idea, but even if I did buy a gear especially I
still wouldn't want to modify it. I'd sooner find a way to work round the
problem. Altering Lego has never appealed to me. I see the challenge as
making it work with the pieces you have. Jennifer Clark is often banging on
about Lego making up new parts as they see fit, trouble is they rarely bring
out any new good ones, or far too infrequently. I must just be a purist but
like I've said before that's just the way I do things if other people want
to modify that's fine. :-)

And wouldn't you just kick yourself the next time you needed that gear only
to find you'd modified it and it no longer suited the purpose you had for it.

Steve Lane