 Technic / 16186

Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 22:49:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

The LEGO company just released a document detailing the complete protocol used by Power Functions RC receiver.

I host the document on my Power Functions presentation page.

As you can see this opens up a new world of possibilities...

Philo

This is great news indeed, thank you for posting.

Has anyone tried the rc train remote on a power function reciver to see if it uses the single output pwm control signals? If not, hopefully the new RC train system will be compatible.

It also looks like with the right signals, and a bit of tweeking of the wiring, you could control a train motor speed and direction on one port, as well as two 0v/9v outputs on another. I didn’t see a way in the document to turn bothe control lines to 9v, but they can bothe or individually be set to 0v!

Does anyone know how much current the control lines can supply/sink?

Mat

Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:27:08 GMT

I didn't see a way in the document to
turn bothe control lines to 9v, but they can bothe or individually be set to
0v!

Either single pin modes allow to set each output to 1 (9V) or 0 (0V).

Does anyone know how much current the control lines can supply/sink?

See the drive datasheet: http://www.philohome.com/nxtpwr/lb1836M.pdf

Current can reach 1A peak, continuous value is lower (500-600mA) especially if
both outputs are heavily loaded at the same time.

Philo

Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!