 Technic / 15658

Subject:
Technic Manas Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:05:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey guys...

Might remember me... I posted the "Millenia Car" last year (was on the side bar
for ages!).

Anyway, finally got around to building something else (I lead a busy life).

A Technic truck based around the motor packs in the Bionicle Manas set (ugly
crab things... only bought them for parts). I got them cheap from an electronics
store here in Australia for about $30 US... I also picked up a Dark Side
Developer's Kit (AT-AT walker thingy) for $15 AUS dollars - that's about $10 US?
Bargain!

Anyway, the Truck is controlled via IR remote for steering and back/forward
movement, using one Manas motor unit. The other motor unit built into the
trailer lifts and lowers the ramps. You can use one remote and just switch
channels to control either the trailer or the truck.

There's a few hastles with these manas units. First, they're not very powerful.
Second, the positions of pin holes and mounts are at strange offsets, so to
attach a model to the top mounts (lift-arm style) and use axle port coming out
of the studded style area, you need to do some nifty half-stud offsetting...

But, I've got some plans for these units... Gonna try an excavator, a larger
sports car, and a few other things...

And, yes, for those observant folks out there, the truck is the same color as
the millenia car because I've got limited lego stocks... The car is no more.

This all was basically a test to see what is achievable with these manas
things... anyone else own them and used them for anything?

Re: Technic Manas Truck