 Technic / 12673
Re: SSClagorpion - Compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 23:21:29 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Benton Jackson wrote:
If there's more pressure being produced than
the system needs at the moment, air goes in the tank, if there's less pressure,
air comes out of the tank.

I was assuming that the model would use whatever air pressure it was given,
unless the state machine was shut off.  Given the volume of air that it will
take to make the circuit progress, an air tank won't hold enough air to help.

Here's an important question.  What will be the limiting factor in how fast this
beast can move?  Is it:
A) Travel time for the pneumatic cylinders
or
B) Volume of air available?

I'm under the impression it will be limited by the volume of air available.

An important thing to note is that the number of pistons moving is not always
the same, so the load on the compressor is not constant.

A quick look at Kevin's diagram for quad-242 shows (if I read it correctly) ten
states.  The transitions between those states include two times where four
pistons move, four times where two pistons move, and four times where one piston
moves.  I think.  I'm pretty sure that doesn't include timing pistons.

That means the system expands (or contracts) twenty pistons, in ten steps, or an
average of two pistons, all the time.

So, I THINK using air tanks, the compressor only has to provide enough air for
two pistons for the quad 242 to move at full speed.  But, without air tanks, the
compressor has to suppily four pistons, at peek times.

Of course SSClagorpion has twice the number of legs, but all the above logic
should be correct.

Is that right?

I'd guess the test that was posted was using a system that had a constant draw
(number of pistons moving is always the same), in which case, the air tanks
would not help it move faster, because there is no time when the compressor is
suppilying more air than the system will use.

Steve

Steve,
  A very interesting set of questions and logic.  I don't know the answer, but
can add insights that are related.

  As the available volume/pressure increases, the pistons expand and contract
faster.  I don't know if there is a linear relationship.  If we double the
pressure, does the thing expand/contract in half the time?  I don't know.  I can
easily set up a test though.  If I use one pump, then two pumps, then three
pumps, I can measure the pressure (using my virgin pressure sensor), and the
rate of transitions of a dual piston engine.  I doubt that it is linear across
the entire pressure/volume range.  I also doubt though that there is some kind
of knee in the curve, where no matter how much you increase the pressure, the
piston rate never increases.

  After I get my last brickink order with three more check valve bricks, I can
get us from one to 6 pumps.

Kevin