 Technic / 12691
Re: SSClagorpion - Compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 13:36:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

So, I THINK using air tanks, the compressor only has to provide enough air for
two pistons for the quad 242 to move at full speed.  But, without air tanks, the
compressor has to suppily four pistons, at peek times.

  A very interesting set of questions and logic.  I don't know the answer, but
can add insights that are related.

  As the available volume/pressure increases, the pistons expand and contract
faster.  I don't know if there is a linear relationship.  If we double the
pressure, does the thing expand/contract in half the time?  I don't know.  I can
easily set up a test though.  If I use one pump, then two pumps, then three
pumps, I can measure the pressure (using my virgin pressure sensor), and the
rate of transitions of a dual piston engine.  I doubt that it is linear across
the entire pressure/volume range.  I also doubt though that there is some kind
of knee in the curve, where no matter how much you increase the pressure, the
piston rate never increases.

  After I get my last brickink order with three more check valve bricks, I can
get us from one to 6 pumps.

I have another idea for an interesting test using air tanks.  Set up a pneumatic
engine and add an extra piston to ONE side. (so there are three total pistons,
and two move at the same time)  See show the speed compairs with vs without
airtanks.

This will start to simulate how SSClagorpion works.

Next, I want to make up a work schedule, to see if we can complete this thing
before Brickfest.