 Technic / 10921
10920  |  10922
Subject:
Pneumatic Inchworm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 22:52:11 GMT

I'm pleased to announce my latest pneumatic creature, an inchworm.  Inchworm is
much larger than an inch, but its body moves using a traveling wave like
inchworms do.

You can see the basic shape of my inchworm:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Inchworm/p7020052.jpg

It is composed of 6 pneumatic segments, four are always expanded, and two are
always compressed.  Over time segments are contracted and expanded in a
coordinated fashion so the compressions move forward on the inchworm.  Once the
compressions reach the head of the inchworm, they move to the back of the
inchworm and start the process over.

The middle segments had a hard time bending the inchworm enough to get the
pistons to close, so I added some extra pistons to make things work more
reliably.  The original design was 6 pistons and twelve switches.  I had to add
some more pistons in the middle.

This image shows inchworm on its side:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Inchworm/p7020057.jpg

I have mpeg movies of it walking that play here on my local machine, but when I
upload them to bricklink they end up garbled.  I guess I'll have to wrestle with
that.

Inchworm is my wife's all time favorite MOC.

PLMKWYT

Kevin