 Space / 9528
Re: Couldn't resist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:53:12 GMT

In lugnet.space, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog writes:
In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
Almost every builder has millions of attennas and tons of
bulky areas on these ships and none of these people realize that there is
friction in outer

what the flipping space monster burgers are
you talking about?

friction in space?

NOT, noway, nohow

wings are useless in space, dude.
i'm an astrophysicist, i know whereof i speak.

(i'm sure this has been said elsewhere
but hey i don't have time to look it up)

-paul
Does your title of an astrophysicist amuse me?  Have you worked with such
people as Carl Sagan or Issac Asimov?  I have not worked with these people
but then again, neither have you so I think I will become skeptical of every
aspect of outer space travel until it has been proven as a fact by science,
sound logic, and the truth in life.  You are an astrophysicist, you should
know that, as with the complete absence of gravity, that the complete
absense of friction can never truly exist in outer space.  There is LESS
friction and gravity in space but it is wrong to say that there can not
exist friction and gravity in space.  Remember the Newtonic laws, Paul.
People at one point in our history many centuries earlier said that the
earth was flat and that we would fall off of the edge of the earth and we
had to accept those ideas as facts in our lives but, as we already know in
this modern age, those ideas were proven false by reason, logic, science,
and the truth in our lives.  Please do not tell me that this concept is
another flat earth idea, Paul, because many aspects of these ideas are
theories, not actual facts, Paul.
Jesse Long
P.S.  My large guns have a hinge piece that folds back when my space craft
enters the atmosphere, Paul.

Jesse,

I have a couple of things to write about. The first is regarding friction in
space. I agree that there MUST be friction in space, otherwise anything held
together with a nut or bolt would come apart. The second is in regards to
your tone in your posts. I'm sure after reading most of you posts, that is
just the way you contruct your sentences, but it comes across as
condescending. Third, the way you construc your paragraphs. It becomes hard
to slog through a single block of text with no breaks. I know that several
people, myself included, have requested that you break up your text by
inserting a blank line between the paragraphs. Would you PLEASE humor the
Lugnet community by doing so? And the last point of my reply is your Lego
Universe. It seems to me that your universe is based heavily on real,
currently available technology. Not everyone who builds subscribes to that
notion. I personally have Faster-Than-Light speeds in my Lego Universe. Yes,
I know that it isn't possible, but growing up with Star Trek makes me want
it in my Universe. I'm sure that you wouldn't be taking as much flak about
your ship if we had something to look at. Remember, a picture is worth a
thousand words (and I'm sure we're waaaaaaaay beyond that point). Besides,
is it very descriptive to say that I currently have a six wheeled
terrestrial vehicle with fully articulated suspension and steering? How
about if I add that it has living quarters for four? What if I also add that
it carries two support vehicles with it? Working airlock? Hydroponics bay?
Cargo crane? Oh, it's also approximately 64 studs long and 20 studs wide.
I'm sure that you have a picture in mind, but as soon as I take some, you
can look and see for yourself and reform your opinion of what I've just
written. Talk to you later, Jesse.

-Duane
I appreciate the fact that you do agree with me but I must truthfully say
that I never considered the fact that friction does indeed keep together the
bolts on a space craft.  Are there any other sceintific laws that either me
or Paul failed to consider in our thoughts about space craft, Duane?  Thank
you for not seeing me as evil in the LEGO space bulletin board, Duane.

I must disagree, however, about the comment that I view space craft from a
realistic point of view, Duane.  I do want to know how space craft would
really operate but I am not conscribing to the current designs of the Space
Shuttle of the typical designs of LEGO space craft.  I believe that you
should add some support vehicles and a working airlock but that is simply
because there may exist hostile environments that the vehicle will travel
and these enviornments may not support oxygen or explorers so an airlock,
even in a space craft, is a good idea if you happen to travel to one of
those planets, Duane.

I am not sure that the people who say that faster than light speeds are
impossible are correct because I thought I saw a story on Yahoo many months
earlier that said that scientists HAD, in fact, caused an object to travel
FASTER than light but I do not remember the context of the story or where on
Yahoo News I heard the story.  I believe that we must first work on the
current technology so that we can actually develop beter technology so that
we can actually produce better space craft.  The reason that my ideas will
not probably work is because almost all that the politicians and
"scientists" in our government want is more money to produce more projects
that are destined to fail and because the government will not privitize the
space program, we will still probably use the Space Shuttle when I am 75
years old!  I believe, however, that your vehicle is a very nice vehicle so
can you please show me your vehicle, Duane?  Thank you and I hoipe that this
letter is to your standards, Duane.
Jesse Long

P.S.  I also have craft that travel at speeds of faster than light speeds
and I have watched Star Trek (though Voyager was somewhat disappointing)
ever since The Next Generation was on television in the first season.  I am
not sure what you mean by condescending but whatever that word means, I will
try not to become condescending to people.  I also believe that adding some
living quarters would be considered a good idea because even large trucks,
the trucks that usually haul trailers, usually have a bed or two in the back
of their cabs and this is the reason why many of these vehicles are somewhat
large in structure, Duane.  I am not saying that adding sleeping quarters is
a necessary idea, Duane, I am simply saying that maybe long missions require
some sleep.