 Space / 9520
Re: Couldn't resist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:28:44 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog writes:
In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
Almost every builder has millions of attennas and tons of
bulky areas on these ships and none of these people realize that there is
friction in outer

what the flipping space monster burgers are
you talking about?

friction in space?

NOT, noway, nohow

wings are useless in space, dude.
i'm an astrophysicist, i know whereof i speak.

(i'm sure this has been said elsewhere
but hey i don't have time to look it up)

-paul
Does your title of an astrophysicist amuse me?  Have you worked with such
people as Carl Sagan or Issac Asimov?  I have not worked with these people
but then again, neither have you so I think I will become skeptical of every
aspect of outer space travel until it has been proven as a fact by science,
sound logic, and the truth in life.  You are an astrophysicist, you should
know that, as with the complete absence of gravity, that the complete
absense of friction can never truly exist in outer space.  There is LESS
friction and gravity in space but it is wrong to say that there can not
exist friction and gravity in space.  Remember the Newtonic laws, Paul.
People at one point in our history many centuries earlier said that the
earth was flat and that we would fall off of the edge of the earth and we
had to accept those ideas as facts in our lives but, as we already know in
this modern age, those ideas were proven false by reason, logic, science,
and the truth in our lives.  Please do not tell me that this concept is
another flat earth idea, Paul, because many aspects of these ideas are
theories, not actual facts, Paul.
Jesse Long
P.S.  My large guns have a hinge piece that folds back when my space craft
enters the atmosphere, Paul.

Jesse,

I have a couple of things to write about. The first is regarding friction in
space. I agree that there MUST be friction in space, otherwise anything held
together with a nut or bolt would come apart. The second is in regards to
your tone in your posts. I'm sure after reading most of you posts, that is
just the way you contruct your sentences, but it comes across as
condescending. Third, the way you construc your paragraphs. It becomes hard
to slog through a single block of text with no breaks. I know that several
people, myself included, have requested that you break up your text by
inserting a blank line between the paragraphs. Would you PLEASE humor the
Lugnet community by doing so? And the last point of my reply is your Lego
Universe. It seems to me that your universe is based heavily on real,
currently available technology. Not everyone who builds subscribes to that
notion. I personally have Faster-Than-Light speeds in my Lego Universe. Yes,
I know that it isn't possible, but growing up with Star Trek makes me want
it in my Universe. I'm sure that you wouldn't be taking as much flak about
your ship if we had something to look at. Remember, a picture is worth a
thousand words (and I'm sure we're waaaaaaaay beyond that point). Besides,
is it very descriptive to say that I currently have a six wheeled
terrestrial vehicle with fully articulated suspension and steering? How
about if I add that it has living quarters for four? What if I also add that
it carries two support vehicles with it? Working airlock? Hydroponics bay?
Cargo crane? Oh, it's also approximately 64 studs long and 20 studs wide.
I'm sure that you have a picture in mind, but as soon as I take some, you
can look and see for yourself and reform your opinion of what I've just
written. Talk to you later, Jesse.

-Duane