 Space / 9531
Re: Couldn't resist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:52:08 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:

I appreciate the fact that you do agree with me but I must truthfully say
that I never considered the fact that friction does indeed keep together the
bolts on a space craft.  Are there any other sceintific laws that either me
or Paul failed to consider in our thoughts about space craft, Duane?  Thank
you for not seeing me as evil in the LEGO space bulletin board, Duane.

I believe Paul was poorly communicating a correct idea.

The scientific law of friction is applicable everywhere, even in space.  It
is a law, and going to space won't make it go away.
What you need to understand is how this law works.  The friction that we are
used to calling drag is the friction of air particles on a jet, or water
particles on a submarine.  The drag is much greater underwater because the
water is denser with particles.  This is an operation of matter states, ie:
the density of a liquid state is more than the gaseous state, and the solid
state is greater than the liquid.

The reason drag is a moot point in space is because it is a near-vaccuum.
The amount of particles is so low that you rarely bump into them, and
therfore there is no effect.  The lift a wing creates needs particles to
move around the wing (faster on the top and slower on the bottom, due to the
diffence in the surface areas of the top and bottom of a wing) and the
difference in speed this creates causes a pressure tension to literally pull
the wing up.  I am just going by memory for this explaination right now...
there is a lot more to it than that, but thats the basic concept behind wings.

few particles in space = insignificant friction to the craft.
near vaccuum in space = no pressure and therefore no "lift" possible.

I am not sure that the people who say that faster than light speeds are
impossible are correct because I thought I saw a story on Yahoo many months
earlier that said that scientists HAD, in fact, caused an object to travel
FASTER than light but I do not remember the context of the story or where on
Yahoo News I heard the story.

We cannot make anything go that fast right now.  What you may have heard
about is scientists isolating a particle that they believe traveled FTL in
an atom smashing experiment.  There are a few different theories right now,
and I personally view super string to be the most possible.  I really don't
like the squishy science concepts behind quantum mechanics.  but that's a
whole different thread. (excuse the pun)

cheers!
Joel Kuester