 Space / 9530
Re: Couldn't resist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:38:47 GMT

In lugnet.space, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
<snip>
I appreciate the fact that you do agree with me but I must truthfully say
that I never considered the fact that friction does indeed keep together the
bolts on a space craft.  Are there any other sceintific laws that either me
or Paul failed to consider in our thoughts about space craft, Duane?  Thank
you for not seeing me as evil in the LEGO space bulletin board, Duane.

I'm sure that there are TONS of other laws and theories that we aren't
looking at when trying to design a "realistic" space craft. That's why I
have my own Lego Universe - it allows me to be creative, but not have to
think as much.

I must disagree, however, about the comment that I view space craft from a
realistic point of view, Duane.  I do want to know how space craft would
really operate but I am not conscribing to the current designs of the Space
Shuttle of the typical designs of LEGO space craft.  I believe that you
should add some support vehicles and a working airlock but that is simply
because there may exist hostile environments that the vehicle will travel
and these enviornments may not support oxygen or explorers so an airlock,
even in a space craft, is a good idea if you happen to travel to one of
those planets, Duane.

My mistake then, I've mis-interpreted.

I am not sure that the people who say that faster than light speeds are
impossible are correct because I thought I saw a story on Yahoo many months
earlier that said that scientists HAD, in fact, caused an object to travel
FASTER than light but I do not remember the context of the story or where on
Yahoo News I heard the story.  I believe that we must first work on the
current technology so that we can actually develop beter technology so that
we can actually produce better space craft.  The reason that my ideas will
not probably work is because almost all that the politicians and
"scientists" in our government want is more money to produce more projects
that are destined to fail and because the government will not privitize the
space program, we will still probably use the Space Shuttle when I am 75
years old!  I believe, however, that your vehicle is a very nice vehicle so
can you please show me your vehicle, Duane?  Thank you and I hoipe that this
letter is to your standards, Duane.
Jesse Long

There is currently a design that is being developed to replace the Space
Shuttle. I don't have specifics handy other than the NASA website, but
believe me, it has to be better than what we are using now. The current
shuttles seem to be held together with duct tape and bailing wire.

P.S.  I also have craft that travel at speeds of faster than light speeds
and I have watched Star Trek (though Voyager was somewhat disappointing)
ever since The Next Generation was on television in the first season.

I believe that there was an article in Popular Science on this subject not
that long ago. Unfortunately  my copy is in my truck so I can't get too
specific right now. Maybe after I actually read it. Does anyone else reading
have information on the article?

I am
not sure what you mean by condescending but whatever that word means, I will
try not to become condescending to people.  I also believe that adding some
living quarters would be considered a good idea because even large trucks,
the trucks that usually haul trailers, usually have a bed or two in the back
of their cabs and this is the reason why many of these vehicles are somewhat
large in structure, Duane.  I am not saying that adding sleeping quarters is
a necessary idea, Duane, I am simply saying that maybe long missions require
some sleep.

From Dictionary.com

con·de·scend
intr.v. con·de·scend·ed, con·de·scend·ing, con·de·scends
To descend to the level of one considered inferior; lower oneself.
To deal with people in a patronizingly superior manner.

-Duane

By the way. Thanks for breaking out your paragraphs. It's much easier to read...

-Duane