 Space / 36034
36033  |  36035
Subject:
A Star1337 Enterprise: Comm Module
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 01:03:55 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Meet the Star1337, a rogue hacker group intent on disrupting all law and order in the universe, though they will sacrifice those principles in order to make a few credits here or there.

Modularity is a key focus of their design ethic, with pilot/hacker-containing “cells” which can then, in turn, be connected to the necessary module. These pilots do have the ability to leave their cells and live a fairly normal life in their off-hours, but once plugged in, very few do as they tend to integrate their conciousnesses with the circuitry.

This particular module is designed to intercept, scramble, and otherwise manipulate any sort of signal it may come across. It is not used for direct contact with the enemy, as it has no onboard weaponry and meagre propulsion.

The Star1337, knowing the danger of insecure data transfer, have taken extra precautions. Therefore, this (and other modules) plug first into a central hub to dock (the antennae on the bottom), and then transfer all information through the pins found in the front of the module.

The first of this to be built was basic front construct (dark blue curved slopes and radar dish), and I’m quite surprised how the back half ended up. It’s a little rawer than I’d originally indended, but it also has a good utilitarian, Borg-like roughness due to the exposed studs and cables.

I’m not tremendously pleased with the side antennae, they had looked better in earlier prototypes. It would probably help if their designs didn’t betray their last-minute, completely uninspired creation. Same goes for the thrusters.

Leave any and all questions, comments, criticisms, and rants about the destruction 1337-speak is wreaking on the English language.