 Space / 32430
Re: The Slick Brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:51:39 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   Tony, You seem to have found that building wind. This racer is quite nice - both its studlessness and all the interactive features you built in - stuff like the lockers and the neato landing gear.

The studlessness is something I’m forcing myself to do. I don’t think I’ll do a ton of 99% studless vehicles like this one, but I wanted to go to the extreme and then back off to find a good balance for future models. And the play features are a must!

   I also enjoy the implied violence of the racing circuit - how each racer either has hidden weapons or a place for a blaster rifle - but also how each racer feels like it is the other racers who make it violent, and they have to have the weapons just to protect themselves.

I built these all with the feel of Speed Racer in mind. There are supposed to be good and bad guys, but that isn’t made very clear in the galleries.

Hm, my one bad guy that I’ve posted isn’t shown with his handgun. That’s kinda lame.

   Much fun! Are there specifications as to what the racers should look like, etc?

They all should fit these criteria, though the Teardrop misses some:
- engines are oversized and/or overdetailed
- opening cockpit and the pilot can sit with airtanks
- folding landing gear
- at least some SNOT work
- the pilot matches his ship, and looks like a character, not a random fig
- storage for required accessories (somewhere for hair or a hat at minimum)
- roughly the same size (so far they range from Grace to the Slick Brick in mass)

Beyond that, they should have an unusual look to them. I don’t want to do a bunch of variants on basic classic space construction like all my Dark Futuron stuff.

Thanks for the kind words!

AndroDan
   Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com