 Space / 32429
Re: PP 1444 X, my P-38 contest entry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:44:25 GMT

   I’ll take ‘clever’, ‘cool’, ‘radical’ and ‘oddball’, but I don’t know about ‘too’. In thinking of a ‘space’ version, I went to three dimensions and no ‘right way up’ so I ‘squared’ it. I could easily remove two of the wings and connect the remaining two with the ‘tail wing’, and it would be more P-38ish, but, you know, whatever.

I’d advise against it. The design, as it stands, is very innovative and just plain cool. Who cares if it isn’t P-38ish? This is maybe your best moc so far, and, i think, your most ambitious. While i always enjoy the creative little bots and such, more creations like this would be amazing!

   I really like the creations that have come about in response to this contest. There’s some tough competition out there, and some truly inpiring and inspired MOCs. Having said that, there is a distinct trend toward atmospheric flight and less of a clear emphasis on space and zero-g travel.

One of the reasons why I haven’t had much inspiriation for the P-38 concept is that very reason. However, I do think a few were of the 0g persuasion more so than atmospheric. Ryan’s Cylon comes to mind easily.

But you are very right. Contests such as these aren’t meant to be won, but to inspire people to try new things and push.

It is that spirit (that the p38 design inspired the pp1444X) that makes your entry a valid one.

-Lenny