 Space / 32428
Re: PP 1444 X, my P-38 contest entry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:15:47 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch wrote:
   In lugnet.announce.moc, Ley Ward wrote:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/whateverly/New-work/Spacestuff/MiniFigScale/PP1444X/pp1444xteaser.jpg

Hi Ley,

It’s a clever design with some cool ideas, I particularly like the domed-cylinder-through-the-arches thing. It seems like too radical a departure from the P-38 design to be a competitive entry, though. Is there a prize for the most oddball entry? I’d nominate you for that ;-)

Cheers,

I’ll take ‘clever’, ‘cool’, ‘radical’ and ‘oddball’, but I don’t know about ‘too’. In thinking of a ‘space’ version, I went to three dimensions and no ‘right way up’ so I ‘squared’ it. I could easily remove two of the wings and connect the remaining two with the ‘tail wing’, and it would be more P-38ish, but, you know, whatever.

I really like the creations that have come about in response to this contest. There’s some tough competition out there, and some truly inpiring and inspired MOCs. Having said that, there is a distinct trend toward atmospheric flight and less of a clear emphasis on space and zero-g travel. I think that that ‘atmospheric’ trend is inherent in the original P-38 (naturally) and also in much of the space-themed design we see in films, MOCs and LEGO Classic Space and its descendants etc. We are products of a gravitational field, after all.

That’s just my (spaced) thinking and having said all that, I’m not that concerned about competition; I’m just glad that Jon gave us a challenge and a deadline. Without a deadline, this might well have languished in the ‘unfinished projects and cool ideas waiting for an application’ box. So, I’m really not trying to create friction in .space. ;-) Thanks to Jon and the rest of you .spacers, I have another cool MOC on my shelf.

You may have been wondering about the EBKD Zhukov link in my original post. (Then again you may have just chalked it up to absent-mindedness on the part of the old professor.) I was about to write about how I was worried about others seeing the cross-wing shape and applying it to the P-38 style. It just goes to show how well ‘oddball’ fits me as well as my designs. :-) This drawing was the first thing that came to mind, and I thought that it would occur to others too.

Well, my niece and nephews are here for their spring break visit, so the dining room table is covered with LEGO and I have to go fill a requisition for more wing pieces... Play well. More Later.

Peace and oddness,

Professor Whateverly