 Space / 32238
Re: Starship Corridor Study Model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 05:24:05 GMT

Thanks for all of the comments!  I really appreciate them.

Two more pictures for ya', although to be honest, the original photos got
through moderation quite a bit faster than I expected.

This shot here is a detail of the cargo bay door.  As you can see, there is no
"cargo bay", but then, this is "only" a study.  What you probably don't see in
this shot (yep, just checked, you can't) are the two rifles bolted to the wall
to the Marine's left.  Nobody is going in there without his approval.  On the
door, notice the computer detail - all kind of codes and stuff to get inside.
Foodstuffs and protein packs for outlying worlds, don't'cha know, fetch a hefty
price on the black market.

The blotchy, blury spot on the left of the photo is actually a half-built
"coffee maker" ... I figured that crewmembers doing cargo inventories might not
want to climb ladders several decks up to get refreshments from the galley.

This door in particular - an 8x8 "grilled" dark grey was what inspired me to
build this mock-up in the first place.  After lining it with black smooth tiles,
I thought "This would make a great cargo bay door - or a kickass brig door!"
But, aside for Captain Picard, what person in their right mind would put a brig
cell overlooking a corridor?  So thusly it became a cargo bay door.

This is a long-shot looking down the length of the corridor from the opposite
direction.  You'll notice the computer and display outside the cargo bay, where
crewmembers can check the hold's manifest. The wall at the far end is completely
"fake", it wasn't even part of the original study, just something erected
quickly to give the illusion that you're on an actual ship.

I hope to build another study model of corridors and interiors soon.  I like the
piping look, but I've also had some success doing paneling in the past, and I'd
like a consistent look between "main" corridors and smaller connecting
corridors.  Back to the piping, I'd eventually like to work out a system where a
blue pipe indicates water or reclemation, a brown pipe indicates waste enroute
to reclamation, etcetra.

I do have plans on the drawing table for a large mini-fig scale ship, but this
isn't the first time I've planned one of those, and so far all of those plans
have bricked apart long before becoming reality (mostly owing to a lack of funds
and, uh, money).

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback, and I hope I haven't bored anyone
(completely) to death.

-Jeff