 Space / 29594
29593  |  29595
Subject:
A couple more Space MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 21:41:55 GMT

Hi again. Thought I would share some more MOCs

The first two are the same ship. One is done in a classic space theme and the other is done in the Blacktron I colorscheme. This small snub fighter, dubed the solarflare, is highly manueverable but extremely short range and only has sub-light capabilities. It is armed only with 2 medium blasters but hard points that allow up to 4 missles can be added to the wingtips and under the wings.

It was primarly developed as a point defense fighter and scout ship for LCSA exploration ships. A few have made their way into private hands. They are favored for their speed and maneuverability by space racers and they are small enough and cheap enough to maintain that a few freighter captains can keep 1 to 2 aboard for defense against pirates. It is rumored that a few have been captured by the Blactron forces and are the basis for their new fighter that has been observed and classified as the Insurgent by LCSA authorities.

brickshelf folders

SolarFlare

Insurgent

Builders notes: This is just a small fun little ship. I was mainly playing around with the idea of using the starwars engines in a SNOT fashion. It seemed natural to attach the wings in a similar fashion. Again, much inspiration drawn from the buck rogers starfighter. And again, no landing gear. I do have a good idea for how to incorporate some on this ship but I would have to lose the ventral fins under the wings and those are just really cool to me.

This next ship is much older. I built this one ~4 years ago and have kept it built ever since. It is a space police II themed fighter craft. The intent behind this ship was to give the space police a high performance interceptor that could chase down and disable all but the fastest outlaws & pirates. Armed with two standard blasters and two ion pulse cannons the, the pilot’s primary mission is to disable renegade craft but will destroy and offending ships if the situation becomes too dangerous. Back up units would be called in once the offender is disabled to take them into custody and tow the offending craft back to port. I’m torn on whether or not this craft is FTL capable.... its a little on the small side for me to have such capability... maybe a limited FTL drive that is capable of only 3-4 jumps before needing recharged. Also, the nav computer would be limited and thus all jump points would need to be computed aboard another craft and data linked to the interceptor.

brickshelf folder

interceptor

builders notes: This ship pretty much evolved from my experimentation with the SNOT style engine and went from there. The rest of the ship is very conventional in its construction. Again no landing gear... thank goodness for replusor lifts...

enjoy,

drc