 Space / 24815
Re: An interesting Sci-fi idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 01:06:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mike Petrucelli wrote: snip
   Are you sure all organic lifeforms are carbon based. That is a pretty big assumption. Sure it holds true on earth (at least as far as we have explored) but what about other planets? Also, you did not comment on my previous statement: • snip -Mike Petrucelli

I believe that there is some decent speculation, if not actual study of the possibilities of silicon and other metalloid elements (boron maybe?)

In Star Trek, Vulcans have green blood because their blood cells are based in copper, not iron. They are still carbon based, but theorizes that different ratios of available elements on a planet are going to affect the ratio of those elements in lifeforms.