 Robotics / RCX / *5014 (-5)
Re: problems with legos on notebook
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 03:34:58 GMT

Hi Michael,

Try the --slow option on firmdl3. This forces it to use the slow download
speed, and may help. Also, use --debug to display more debugging info. This may
help someone here to work out what the problem is.

I'm not sure what the equivalent options are in dll (or even if they exist!)

Regards

ROSCO

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Michael Wisse writes:
Hallo Ross!

This is just the problem, I can not download programs or the legos.srec.
Both, firmdl3 and dll give the message "bad ir link".

I have an other linux computer on which (with a built in com port) dll
and firmdl3 work correctly.

I compared the setserial output for ttyS0 on both computers. Setserial
on the notebook  pcmcia card recognized a UART 16950/954, setserial on
the other computer a 16550A. This was the only difference.

I could not find any error messages or warnings relating to ttyS0.

Regards.

Michael

Ross Crawford schrieb:

Michael,

I may not be much help as I only use my laptop for downloading programs, not
development, and my serial port is built-in.

Is there any message when it fails to connect, or not?
Does it fail immediately, or timeout after a wait?
Do firmdl3 & dll fail the same way, or different symptoms?

Try looking in /var/log/messages for any info. Also try logging kernel debug
messages using syslog - a line like:

kern.debug      /var/log/kernel.debug

in syslog.conf may give more info (don't forget to killall -HUP syslogd!)

Post the results here, and someone may be able to pick the problem.

HTH

ROSCO

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Michael Wisse writes:
Hallo!

Has anybody experiences with legos on notebooks?

I want to use legos under linux on a notebook computer. I use a serial
pcmcia card from socket communications. The serial port is configured as
ttyS0 (irq 4 and io-adr. 0x03f8 are configured correct by pcmcia
manager).
The infrared tower is found by firmdl3 or dll, but it does not get a
connection to
the rcx.
(I have the same problems with nqc.)

The basic settings for this serial port seem to be o.k. under linux, I
can control an external modem with this port and connect to an isp.

Only with the legos tools (and nqc) it does not work. Perhaps there are
some special settings to do under linux with setserial for this port?

Thanks for advice and best regards.

Michael Wisse

Hochschule Harz
D-38855 Wernigerode

Re: problems with nqc under linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 00:35:08 GMT

It looks like the serial port just isn't getting the right settings
(baud, parity, etc).  I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing/fixing
it...NQC makes some rather straightforward POSIX calls to configure the
serial port.  If it is not working, then it generally comes down to a
kernel/driver issue.

Do you have some sort of terminal program available on both computers?
If so, first start with 9600 baud, 8 data, 1 stop, no parity.  Make sure
you can send data back and forth.  Then switch to 2400 baud and try
again.  Then turn on odd parity.

Dave

In article <3B7CF025.BA58150B@hs-harz.de>, Michael Wisse
<mwisse@hs-harz.de> wrote:

Hallo Dave!

Thanks for your respond.
I've done your suggestion. I connected two linux computers with a
nullmodem cable.
On the other computer nqc is working correctly, but it has installed an
older version of nqc 2.0.2 (on my notebook runs nqc 2.2., I hope, this
is no problem).

This is the output from my notebook (where nqc does not work correctly).
Here I started nqc fist on the notebook, then on the other computer:

spock:/var/log # nqc -v -raw 10
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 78 0f 78 ff fc 00 00 00 f8 f8 78 00 c0 00 f8 f8 f8 78 0f 78 ff fc 00
00 00 f8 f8 78 00 c0 00 f8 f8 f8
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx:
Problem talking to IR device

Here I started nqc fist on the other computer, then on my notebook:

spock:/var/log # nqc -v -raw 10
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 78 0f 78 ff fc 00 00 00 f8 f8 78 00 c0 00 f8 f8 f8
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx:
Problem talking to IR device

The other computer mostly did not receive anything from the notebook.
Sometimes on the first left rx field appeared a 72, nothing else.

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com

Re: problems with legos on notebook
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:01:36 GMT

Ross Crawford schrieb:

[...]

Dipl.Ing. Michael Wisse

Hochschule Harz
Fachbereich Automatisierung und Informatik
Friedrichstraße 57-59
D-38855 Wernigerode

Telefon: +49(0)3943/659-323
Fax:     +49(0)3943/659-399

Re: problems with nqc under linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:21:25 GMT

[...]

Re: ROBOLAB problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:44:10 GMT

Yes, that is an annoying misfeature of Robolab 2.0.  I believe it is fixed
in RoboLab 2.5
(due out Real Soon Now) where there is now an icon that resets before
waiting and one
that doesn't.

In the meantime, you can code it yourself:

                                      <= - Jump X
Land X -> If rotations
                                       ------------------Continue past
wait...

-Peter

"koldo" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message

Hello

I have a question about rotation sensor and Robolab. In order to control
two motions (X and Y) I used two rotation sensors in my project.

When I programmed in NQC I hadn't any problem, but when I tried translating
the program into Robolab I found a problem: I couldn't use absolute
coordinates because if I used "Wait for rotation" the rotation sensor value
was reset to 0. Consequently, RCX "can't remember" the actual position, and
I have to use relative coordinates.

The program is in http://www.euskalnet.net/kolaskoaga/robol.htm

I would know if I can use absolute values of rotation in order to control
the motions without variables.

Koldo

***
http://www.donospat.net/2000/                 proyecto de tecnología y