 Robotics / NXT / 965
Re: Power Functions presentation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:29:09 GMT

Your page seemed to suggest that someone had actually taken them apart, but
there was no more information on there.

I did it, I'll try to update my page with some internal photos.

Apart from the obvious separate control of two motors function, could there
be any other functions C1 and C2 could derive uses for?  In the Ferris Wheel
set, which is also a Powerfunctions model, but has no IR controller or
receiver, reversal of the motor was dependant on the direction of the
battery switch which kind of limits it's functionality.

The battery box delivers power through power lines (used by IR receiver) if the
switch is not in neutral position, and C1 C2 whose polarity depends on switch
position (and are used by a direct connect motor).

I'm wondering perhaps TLG didn't get it made early enough or didn't think
people would want an IR controlled ferris wheel.
I guess it was a cost issue...

One very desirable add-on element I could think of would be a pressure
switch or contact switch that can switch a motor connected to it on/off, the
same way NXT touch sensors work, it would be a pretty good expansion into
the Mindstorms basic concepts that are used with NXT, without getting too
complicated.

If they make it properly, they could have a slider which selects whether it
works to switch the motor on or off, and still make it fairly compact.

Perhaps not so easy, because the switch would have to cope with high current of
the motors. But very desirable, yes !!!

Philo