 Robotics / 27655
Re: NXT sound sensor characteristics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.boats
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:12:16 GMT

That sounds like resonance. Perhaps in the sensor response, but at 3 kHz the
wavelength is down around 10 cm, meaning a half-wavelength at 5 cm is getting
very close to the physical dimensions of the sensor. Did you check for physical
resonance effects, perhaps within the casework?

Excellent suggestion!!! We'll open one sensor and try once again.

...I'd love to, but don't have the signal generator right now. I'm very tempted
to get something like this:

http://www.pasco.com/featured-products/xplorer-glx/index.cfm

B.t.w. Vernier also has a remarkable device:

http://www.vernier.com/labquest/

Someone else interested in repeating the experiment? Philo?

Claude

P.S. I added a graph to the page, where the sound pressure is maintained
constant.