 Robotics / 27651
Subject:
NXT sound sensor characteristics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:18:54 GMT

We've worked some hours to do some interesting experiments with the NXT sound
sensor in order to learn more about the sensor characteristics:

Please consult: http://www.convict.lu/Jeunes/RoboticsIntro.htm

... and help discussing.

Claude Baumann

Re: NXT sound sensor characteristics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:23:20 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Claude Baumann wrote:

We've worked some hours to do some interesting experiments with the NXT sound
sensor in order to learn more about the sensor characteristics:

Please consult: http://www.convict.lu/Jeunes/RoboticsIntro.htm

Very nice. I'll have to dig through it again in detail, but I didn't find
anything interesting at 3 kHz... perhaps because I didn't go that high (oops).
To figure out the frequency response I did it manually: I borrowed a signal
generator and speaker from the university, as well as a sound meter, and then
simple manually cranked up the frequencies on the signal generator, noting what
readings the sound sensor returned in dB and dBA mode, as well as the dB level
displayed on the meter. The summarized results (over a lower range of
frequencies) are here:

My conclusion was the sensor can be used to distinguish fairly pure tones below
roughly 1 kHz (below 1 kHz, there's a nice distinguishable difference between dB
and dBA modes), but not above that. I didn't go up to very high frequencies,
because among other things I was originally trying to get one NXT to distinuish
the tones played by an NXT or RCX, the the sound production at very high
frequencies with the sources is very weak.

More annoying, although I can get an NXT to reliably detect *pure* tones in the
proper range ("is this tone above or below 1 kHz?"), it seemed hopeless for
"normal" sounds that are really a very messy combination of waveforms. In other
words, having one NXT "listen" to another just didn't work out well.

Using the DSP module is a very nice way to do this, by the way. I'll have to dig
through this some more.

--
Brian Davis

Re: NXT sound sensor characteristics