 Robotics / 27653
Re: NXT sound sensor characteristics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.boats
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:46:53 GMT

Thanks Brian
snip.. The summarized results (over a lower range of
frequencies) are here:

My conclusion was the sensor can be used to distinguish fairly pure tones below
roughly 1 kHz (below 1 kHz, there's a nice distinguishable difference between dB
and dBA modes), but not above that..snip

Your excellent graph shows that you tried to maintain the sound pressure
constant. We did the inverse in the last graphs, where we tried to draw the
curve for a constant NXT sensor value.

We also repeated the experiment, and this time, besides the measurements, we
payed attention to the sensation of loudness... and we were amazed to see that
around 3kHz, the sound sometimes has to be louder, sometimes weaker, in order to
maintain the constant 20 NXT-dBA. We sweeped over the range and the value droped
and grew at neighbour frequencies.
This leaves us puzzled. It would be a great thing, if someone verified this.