 Robotics / 26825
Re: Laser Tag on a Brick - Laser Tag with an RCX as the main part!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 18:04:18 GMT

Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Chris Malton wrote:

It depends on some software I have written to be
usable (unless you use the Messages window in
BricxCC or the NQC command line).

Why? If you need to send an IR message from the RCX, there's a command for that
in NQC (SendMessage, IMS).

The software I wrote is for the controlling PC.  It uses SendMessage
from the RCX, but the PC software is needed to interpret the messages
from the RCX.

The PC has to act as a base station! The PC can then generate scores
etc. using a somewhat dodgy algorithm.

What does anyone think of the idea (other than mad)?

How directed is the pulse? "Laser tag", "flashlight tag", and "broad-beamed
searchlight tag" are very different games, and I'm not sure how you get a
semi-tight "beam" from the RCX without a significant muzzle.

The weird thing about the RCX is that on TX power low the beam is weak
and narrow (no further than 2 metres), in TX power high, the beam is
very strong and wide (at least it seems to go around corners!). In other
words it's Laser Tag, just with IR as the "laser".  As far as I am
aware, most laser tag systems use IR anyway!

I do need to create some kind of muzzle for the brick though! (Then I
can use long range?)

I'll do some quick tests and report back soon!

Chris