 Robotics / 26108
Re: C Programming Solution for NXT - Beta Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:43:30 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dave Curtis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Colin White wrote:
This solution is the result of collaboration with the Robotics Academy at
Carnegie-Mellon University on development and commercialization of a new
robotics curriculum using the C programming language. Part of this
development includes a common C programming solution - "RobotC" - that runs
on several different robotics platforms.

In its final form will RobotC be available separately from the curriculum, and
if so will it be free of charge. Thanks.

What is the licensing?  I can't see anything on the web site.  From your
comments, I take it that this will be free-as-in-beer, but *not*
free-as-in-speech?  In other words, is this going to be published under some
kind of open source license?

-dave

Dick told me in a private email that RobotC will remain a strictly commercial
offering for the foreseeable future due to his desire to earn back all the sweat
equity he has invested in the product.  He also urged me to not add support for
his alternate firmware to NQC and BricxCC unless I wanted to face legal action.

His alternate firmware for the NXT is built on top of the official LEGO NXT
firmware sourcecode with the virtual machine from his home-grown fast0103.lgo
RCX firmware running in place of the virtual machine that LEGO contracted out
the National Instruments (which is based on the virtual machine used in
LabView).  He uses all the standard LEGO-designed file extensions such as .rso
for sound files, .rxe for user executables, .rtm for sample executables
delivered with the firmware (tm == try me), and .rdt for datalog (which LEGO cut
from the standard NXT firmware).  The file format for executables (.sys, .rxe,
and .rtm files) is far simpler than the format used by the NI virtual machine.

John Hansen