 Robotics / 25199
Re: Mindstorms NXT programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:03:18 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, dan miller <danbmil99@yahoo.com> wrote:
What would I like to implement that won't fit in 256K...

check out this list of modules from Pyro:

# PyroModuleDirectControl
# PyroModuleSequencingControl
# PyroModuleBehaviorBasedControl
# PyroModuleReinforcementLearning
# PyroModuleNeuralNetworks
# PyroModuleEvolutionaryAlgorithms
# PyroModuleComputerVision
# PyroModuleMapping
# PyroModuleMultirobot

you can dig in here:
http://pyrorobotics.org/?page=PyroCurriculum

Point is, robotics research has gone way beyond line following with a PID.
Roboticists have dealt with underpowered brains for years.  Techniques have
been worked out to work around that problem, by linking the robot to a more
powerful brain.  That brain is your computer.  The link is bluetooth.  The
point of Python, Java, C++, Scheme (http://pyrorobotics.org/?page=Gyro), or
any other high-level language (something other than C, which is basically
glorified assembler) is to facilitate the design of complex, flexible
algorithms that can enable more advanced behavior.  What I would like to do
with Python, or even with some new language (as I explained in a previous
post), is to get as much autonomous functionality into the NXT as possible,
and make it easy to do the rest on a remote machine.  Imagine the robot
having a dozen possible behavior patterns, which could be swapped in quickly
from your laptop, depending on what the robot encounters.  It's just an
application of the trendy field of distributed computing.

There's plenty to learn fiddling with lego pieces and RIS (or Labview on
NXT), but if someone wants to move beyond that into some of the real
cutting-edge stuff, it would be nice if there was a path to lead them there.

Hi Dan,

  Your desire to have cutting edge robotics computing technology at your
fingertips is compelling and *very* understandable.  The robotics challenges you
want to overcome sound very interesting.  Where you and I differ is expecting to
be able to get these cutting edge robotics computing from LEGO, a toy
manufacturer, at the cost of $250.  We have a big disconnect right here.

  If the NXT cannot provide what you want, it is a bummer, but it is not LEGO's
problem.  LEGO is not trying to make cutting edge research robotics kits.

  I hope to be able to push the NXT to its limits, either in August, or earlier
if I can get my hands on an NXT set.  I rather enjoy the challenge of living
within constraints, but moreso working around them, and creating magic.  I look
forward to hearing about your python progress.

  In the future, please do not send copies of your lugnet posts to my email
account.  That is a good way to get me to ignore you.  I read lugnet early and
often, and don't want extra copies in my email.

Kev