 Robotics / 25173
Re: Mindstorms NXT programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:32:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dick Swan wrote:

On the contrary, the NXT brick has an enormous amount of
memory!

   Agreed.

I can't recall ever seeing a post with a complaint that a
NQC program doesn't fit in [the RCX]

   Actualy, while I've not posted on this, I've certainly come close. A valid
argument could be made that this is because I'm not a good programmer, but it's
certainly a problem I've encountered. So, I've worked around it. There are lots
of applications where I've had to erase 3 or 4 of the RCX program slots to have
enough room for the one program I'm running.

I'm having trouble imagining an 'application' program on the
NXT brick that will take 50 (or 100) Kbytes of space.

   That depends on some of the output - driving an LCD screen might end up being
memory-intensive, and if we can use those buttons, I'm going to want to start
coding menu systems. Bluetooth opens up some things as well - how much code
space will I need to parse and talk with something like a GPS? Or to do
route-planning in a real environment? Etc.

For reference, a simple line following robot is 5 LOC and 50
code bytes. [I know this is 10 bytes per LOC but there's
some startup overhead in this]. A very complicated line
following robot - using a PID algorithm - takes about 70
lines of code and uses 500 code bytes.

   OK, you're much better at coding than I am :-). I've got line-following code
that's longer than that *without* PID (for running a very specific course at
high speed and high reliability - that last constraint required several error
detection and correction routines). There's also the factor that my programs are
sometimes long because I don't have the variable space I need, so things get
"hard coded" that could be done better with variable space.

Anybody got any applications that they plan that are 1000 times
more complicated that this?

   Nope. Not yet... Can LEGO enter the DARPA Challenge? Hm, how do I build an
internal compustion engine out of ABS...

--
Brian Davis