 Robotics / 25180
Re: Mindstorms NXT programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:58:45 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, steve <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:

Yes!  Easily.

I want to load images from a camera and process them in
realtime.  To do that, I'd like to take a pre-existing
image processing library and compile it for the NXT.

That could EASILY consume all 256Kb of flash - and the
image itself would need vastly more RAM than the NXT
has.  That's not in any way an unreasonable thing to
expect to be able to do in an era of $8, 64Mb thumb drives
and teeny-tiny cameras that fit into a cellphone and cost
$20.  It's something that robots need to be able to do.

You can buy a 16MB CompactFlash card for your camera for $6,
a 32MB card for $7 and a Kodak 64MB card for $8.  Memorex
make a 128MB card for $11.  And we're going to spend $250
and be stuck with ONE QUARTER OF A MEG.  Can you really
tell me that you wouldn't have preferred to spend $261 and
had a thousand times more memory than you're going to get?

Er ...

Is there an apples and oranges problem here? You are referring to serial memory
devices used for data storage versus broad side FLASH which permits the CPU to
execute from it.

If the CPU were to be crippled by executing from a SD memory device, I think
you'd start complaining about the speed at that point.

So how much does 32 bits wide of 64Mb of FLASH cost?

JB