 Robotics / 25032
Re: mindstorms NXT and memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 18:59:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Alexander Sack wrote:
Kevin, does that have to be true though?  I'm wondering if a better strategy
would have been to sell the NXT Core kit at a slight loss but try to make it up
on expansion sets?  (sort of like the game console market)

I doubt it -- for game consoles, the computer is useless without the 'expansion
sets'.  For Mindstorms, most consumers will be happy with the basic product;
expansion sets are add-ons, not required purchases.  I don't see a way to
transform Mindstorms into a model of "give away the durable item to profit from
sales of multiple consumable products."[1]

--
Steve
1) Game software being consumable in the sense that you'll only want to play the