 Robotics / 25029
Re: mindstorms NXT and memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:44:44 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Game consoles always *have* to be very agressive in their technological
progress.  They basically give away the hardware, and make money on games.

This business model does not apply here, so LEGO can't afford to keep up with
the most advanced technology and keep their selling cost as low as it is.

Kevin, does that have to be true though?  I'm wondering if a better strategy
would have been to sell the NXT Core kit at a slight loss but try to make it up
on expansion sets?  (sort of like the game console market)

Give the NXT more capabilities that would expand the audience of the set to not
just kids and hard-core Lego fans, but a whole different kind of fanbase.  I'm
not sure what those added/extended features are (I'm not talking about more
memory per say but high-level functionality that may require more resources such
as in-core memory) yet, but it seems to me at first glance that the NXT set is
an improved Mindstorms with the same business mindset (entice kids who played
with Legos as little children to continue using Lego products as they become
pre-teens/teens).

Anyway, it just a thought...

-aps