 Robotics / 24919
Re: mindstorms NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 06:56:59 GMT

Ka-On Lee wrote:
NXT Spec From
<http://www.lego.com/eng/service/faqs.asp?section=ConsumerService-FAQ-Products&catid=E8D0CD47-16B8-4B2F-900C-8FC40C163598&faqid=17262#17262
LEGO Service FAQ>

• 32-bit ARM7 microprocessor¬
• 256 Kbytes FLASH, 64 Kbytes RAM¬
• 8-bit microprocessor¬
• 4 Kbytes FLASH, 512 Byte RAM¬
• Bluetooth wireless communication¬
• USB 2.0 port¬
• 4 input ports, 6 wire digital platform¬
• 3 output ports, 6 wire digital platform¬
• Dot matrix display 60 x 100 pixels¬
• Loudspeaker – 8 KHz sound quality¬
• Power, 6 AA Batteries¬

Some flash is nice but 64K RAM is just too little.  We can forget about doing
voice processing.

64K RAM!? That's absolutely ludicrous! The RCX has 32kb entirely of
programmable memory (if I remember correctly), and that is just alright.
64kb is not much space to work in at all in this era!

Anyway, a dot-matrix display is nice, as is Bluetooth (especially as it
can communicate between robots), and should be significantly more
reliable than Infrared (albeit probably more power hungry).

William.